Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Moses, the Shepherd

I have had a hard time sleeping.  The first week Alan was gone I did not have problems, but since then insomnia has been a nightly occurrence.  Having the boys only here two nights is a little like having  new born, in the fact that I keep checking on them during the night.  Remember that from your little ones? 

This morning, since I was awake anyway, I went ahead and got started reading.  I opened my Bible to Exodus and began reading about the Moses and the burning bush.

I realized that I could actually picture it in my mind clearly now. 

Has that happened to you?  You read about something, like a place, and then once you actually experience that place or something similar, it becomes real to you?  I would imagine that for those of you who've walked through parts of Israel where Jesus walked, that would be true.  I have not had the opportunity to do that yet.  Maybe someday.

But for now, details like this come alive.  "Now Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law, Jethro, the priest of Midian, and he led his flock to the west side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God."  (Ex. 3:1)  Chapters 3 and 4 go on to describe Moses' meeting with God. 

It occurred to me that never before have I really pictured this meeting in my mind in vivid detail.  But after seeing the landscape on this side of the world, I picture the bush as a bush common here in Africa.  When I picture Moses as a shepherd, I see the shepherd people leading their flocks here with sticks or whips from pasture  to pasture. 

And the Bible becomes more alive. 

I realize that the areas talked about in Exodus would be the modern day Egypt, Israel, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia, but when you look at a map, Ethiopia's not that far away! 

It's really cool, ya'll. 

Today I am thankful for:  a God who makes all things new, light-up tennis shoes for little boys, and balloons.

2 comments:

  1. Being a new mother always keeps you awake at night, but then sometimes during the day don't you want to just pinch yourself to make sure you are awake and it isn't all a dream? It is so wonderful that it is hard to believe!
    I've never had the chance to walk in Israel or Africa, but this must be a real blessing for you. You must be extremely happy and you are as cool as all your children or any bright balloon, and you must feel like the dawn of each new day and have the joy of a rainbow after the rain.
    Can't wait to see you you all.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy. Can't wait to see you, too!

      Delete