Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Hard Goodbyes

As I sit writing this, it's early morning in Addis.  The aroma of the coffee next to me makes my nose happy, but I have a sinking feeling in my chest.  Last night was a difficult goodbye.  I did not enjoy watching my husband and oldest child climb in a van in the rain to drive to the airport to fly across the ocean.  Alan was visibly upset, and Alana and Easton were crying.  (Okay, we were all crying.) I let Alana and Easton stay up and we watched the plane depart from our window, their little hands pressed on the glass, saying, "Goodbye, Daddy.  Goodbye Jayde.  We miss you.  We love you."

When we came here, I knew Alan would have to leave and go home for a month.  It's not a surprise and I think I've done my best to prepare.  Alana and Easton are having a harder time. 

I am glad that I am not a military wife.  It would be extremely hard to see your husband leave for a year or more at a time.  I have friends who have done that or are doing it now.  My sister did it. 

But, at home I would have a support system.  Here, I think it's hard because I don't speak the language and I can't get in a car and drive myself somewhere.

All that being said, I know we made the right choice to stay here.  When our translator explained to "Y" and "P" that Daddy would be flying home, you should have seen their reaction!  That was with the knowledge that I would still be here.  It would have been so much worse to tell them both goodbye and have our whole family leave for an undetermined amount of time.  Being able to stay and take custody of them once we pass court is such a blessing.

So please just pray.  Pray that we can get the boys soon and start building our relationship.  Pray that Alana and Easton can find joy and have peace while Alan's gone and won't dwell on he and Jayde not being here.  Pray that I'll have wisdom to know what to do in situations where I would normally turn to my husband for help.  Pray for Jayde and Alan while they're home. 

If you see them, give them a hug from me, and invite them to dinner (Alan doesn't cook).  :) 

"The joy of the Lord is my strength"!

Thankful for:  internet to connect with loved ones at home, the big bed here at the house where Easton and Alana and I all fit, and rainboots.

No comments:

Post a Comment