Sunday, July 1, 2012

Court's over- one step closer!

What a week!  Tuesday night (the day I was so sick) we received a phone call telling us we had a court date for Wednesday, and to be at the court house at 1:30.  We waited at the court house for about 2 1/2 hours with 3 other AWAA families.  All of the families were called into the judge's chambers together.  She asked us questions for a total of less than 10 minutes (probably closer to 5), then told us we were approved to adopt, but were missing our letter from the Minister of Women's, Children's, and Youth Affairs.  Since we knew we were missing our letter, we were not surprised that we did not pass court.  The bad news is that we can't take custody of the boys until we officially pass.  The good news is that we do not have to go back to court.  Our agency will call us when we pass and then we can go pick up the boys and bring them back to our house here in Addis.

Since we do not have to go back to court to pass, Alan and Jayde are flying home.  They will leave Monday night and arrive in Tampa Tuesday night.  Alan needs to work (so we'll still have a business when we get back home), so he'll be staying about 4 weeks, then returning to Ethiopia to stay until we are cleared by Embassy to come home. 

"Y" wrote us this note in school at the Transition Home this week.  We are very ready to have the boys full time.  "P" cried today when I left him.  "Y" was very upset when we told him through a translator that Alan is going to be flying home and not seeing him for a month.  It was sad.  The boys already are attaching to Alan and love their Daddy.

Thursday we moved into Levi and Jessie's house.  It's wonderful!  The girls share a room and Easton is sleeping in the room the boys will share.  Alan and I have a room with a bathroom, and the kids have their own bathroom again!  Whoo-hoo!  We are all settled in and unpacked and are not living out of suitcases anymore. 

The water has been off since we arrived on Thursday.  It's now Sunday night here (almost midnight), and we just heard the pump for the water come back on!  Exciting stuff around here!  Showers!  Hot water for dishes!  Toilets will be flushing!  We used all the emergency water in the first 2 days (for dishes and cleaning) and took a "bath" with a liter of water per person.  Tonight Scott and Natalie invited us to come take showers at the guest house.  We did and were very thankful to wash our hair!  When we wake up we should have water.  It's a gravity system here, with a tank on the roof and a pump to get the water up there.  We are just waiting on the pump to full the tank. 

Friday we drove through the countryside to go to the Gorge.  The drive was beautiful and it was great to finally see lanscapes that were something we dreamed of seeing when we came here.  I took lots of pictures and will share some with you when the internet is working well.

We were able to go to Bring Love In and receive our instructions for the next few weeks.  We're excited about being able to help.

Tomorrow we're delivering the dresses that our church made for orphans to one of the government orphanages here in Addis and bringing donations. 

Right now the internet is going in and out so I'll just close with asking you to keep praying for our document.  It would be really cool if I could take custody of the boys on the 4th of July.  A girl can dream, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment