Friday, February 3, 2012

Countdown to the Fundraiser!

Only a little more than 24 hours to go until our big fundraiser.  I am getting very nervous.  Over 260 people either purchased tickets or are helping (we are feeding our high school volunteers for free in exchange for their work).  I am in awe of what God has done.  When we started planning this, we were hoping for 100 people.  It has turned into so much more than we ever thought possible.  People and businesses have donated silent auction items, raffle items, food, time, talents, and given us discounts on things we had to purchase. 

After enduring some trying weeks and negativity that I am still struggling to get past, God sent me a big message this past week.  Currently I'm studying the book of James in detail.  The first verse I dealt with this week was James 1:20, which says, "for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God."  Hello!  I needed this!  I have read that verse so many times before, but I really need to admit to the anger I am holding in my heart at this point in time.  I need to forgive.  Period.  If I can't do it on my own, I need to pray that Jesus will help me die to myself daily and forgive on a daily basis. 

David Nystom says that James instructs us to "be slow to assume the mantle of righteous indignation, because in so doing we implicitly claim to speak for God."  I have been wrong in feeling I had a right to be upset.  I am asking for forgiveness.

I am sure there have been many times other people were angry at me for something I did or said and felt they had a "right" to be angry.  Beth Moore says, "God reminds us that He didn't plant His word in us just so we could divert it toward someone else's conviction or deliverance.  That's true even when we have righteous indignation.  We need humility to receive a word from God down into the soil of our humanity .  We tend to take God's message to us and hang it around someone else's neck, but its first target was our own souls."

Tomorrow is about our family raising money so we can travel to another part of the world and give children a forever family.  But it's also about so much more.  It's about opening other's eyes to the dire need in this world of orphans.  It's about letting other people know that they CAN make a difference in lives, one person at a time.  It's about telling everyone that we all matter.  Every person, big or small, every color, every race.  May our family and our town be a picture in the future of what Heaven will look like.  We can do that, together. 

It's been over a year since we started this adoption process.  We've been waiting on a match for over 6 months now.  My friend, Christina, sent me a song this morning.  It's by KRISTIAN STANFILL. Listen to it.  May it bless you, too.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQHi4Q7eMAo

Here are the words:
"My foes are many, they rise against me
But I will hold my ground
I will not fear the war, I will not fear the storm
My help is on the way, my help is on the way

Oh, my God, He will not delay
My refuge and strength always
I will not fear, His promise is true
My God will come through always, always

Troubles surround me, chaos abounding
My soul will rest in You
I will not fear the war, I will not fear the storm
My help is on the way, my help is on the way

Oh, my God, He will not delay
My refuge and strength always
I will not fear, His promise is true
My God will come through always, always

I lift my eyes up, my help comes from the Lord
I lift my eyes up, my help comes from the Lord
I lift my eyes up, my help comes from the Lord
I lift my eyes up, my help comes from the Lord
From You Lord, from You Lord

Oh, my God, He will not delay
My refuge and strength always
I will not fear, His promise is true
My God will come through always, always

Oh, my God, He will not delay
My refuge and strength always, always"

Father, thank you so much for the opportunity you have granted us tomorrow.  Help our words to be words inspired by you when we speak about orphan awareness.  Help hearts to be moved to action by what they hear.  May this bring glory to you.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment