Saturday, February 18, 2012

7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess - In Process

Dude.  My excitement last night was hard to contain. I opened the front door to let the dogs out to use the bathroom and discovered a box from Amazon sitting on the porch.  Apparently I had missed it earlier in the day.  What does a book nerd do when she receives a box from Amazon, you might wonder?  A happy dance, that's what.  Especially when she chooses free shipping so it takes a while for that box to arrive.  Oh, the anticipation!

The box contained a couple school books for the girls, but 4 of the books were for me!  One on adopting older children, and 3 "Hatmaker" books.  (1) 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker, (2) Interrupted: An Adventure in Relearning the Essentials of Faith, also by Jen, and (3) Barefoot Church:  Serving the Least in a Consumer Culture, by Brandon Hatmaker. 

I immediately rushed through my shower, slapped on pajamas, and settled in to begin 7.  I laughed right off the bat. It grew into a loud, obnoxious sound, much to the dismay of my husband who was trying to watch T.V. in bed beside me.  Then I cried when I got to Day 7 of the first chapter.  So hard I shook. I tried to turn away and make Alan think I was still laughing.  I think I succeeded. Then I laughed like a hysterical, crazy woman again.  Oh, the roller coaster!

It's like this woman crawled inside my brain, people.  Seriously.  How does she know my thoughts?  I am sure we were destined to be good friends.  She just doesn't know it yet.  Okay, that sounds a little stalker-ish, but you get my drift.

When I come out of my "Hatmaker" coma, I'll do some book reviews.  In the meantime, I want to do whatever I have to do to convince you to buy 7.  You want to read this!  You really do!  So instead of waiting to read the review, just buy it now because it will take a few days to be delivered.  Got it?

Sneak peak time.  Here's a quote from Day 7, after I had already read the part that set my emotions off like fireworks. 

"Before I lose my doctoral students, trust me, I know theology has its place.  And I appreciate the irony of a Bible student, paid speaker, and pastor's wife penning these thoughts.  But when the exhaustive exegesis of God's Word doesn't create people transformed into the image of Jesus, we have missed the forest for the trees.  Or perhaps Jesus explained it better: 'You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life.  These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life' (John 5:39-40).  The careful study of the Word has a goal, which is not the careful study of the Word.  The objective is to discover Jesus and allow Him to change our trajectory.  Meaning, a genuine study of the Word results in believers who feed poor people and open up their guest rooms; they're adopting and sharing , mentoring the intervening.  Show me a Bible teacher off mission, and I'll show you someone with no concept of the gospel he is studying."

POW.  In the gut.  For this Bible study junkie (that would be me). I love my Bible.  I also am really liking this book.  Yeah, baby.  Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment