Monday, January 16, 2012

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

I must admit, I have read snippets about Martin Luther King, Jr. my entire life.  I learned about him in school.  I saw television programs that gave information about him.  I saw clips on news and internet.  But did I really listen?  Did I really comprehend what he said?  What he stood for?  Did I take those speeches, quotes, and actions to heart?  No. 

Isn't it amazing how things that once didn't seem relevant to your life have a way of becoming extremely important to you when your circumstances change?  When you grow as a person?  When your character develops?  When God totally revamps your life?  When you learn that this life is NOT ABOUT YOU? 

Shame on me for not seeing what was there all along. 
*The sin of our world's prejudice.
*The labeling of people that aren't like us.
*The sick way we have twisted the truth of the Scriptures.
*The way we put people in boxes and groups like they as individuals don't really matter.
You know what?  We all matter.  We were made in the image of God.  How much more special can we get?  I mean, really?

My prayer is that we can find a way to unite under the headship of Jesus Christ.  All Christ-followers are brothers and sisters in the family of the Church.  We are Jesus' bride.  When we go to Heaven, we will work and love and praise God together forever.  Every tribe, every tongue, every nation will be represented.  Trust me, it's in the Bible.  I've read it!  I pray that we will realize that our skin color does not matter.  It is beautiful.  Diversity is beautiful.  God did this on purpose. He made me light tan on purpose.  He made my future children with brown skin on purpose.  He made some of my friends with ivory skin on purpose.  I love ethnically diverse families.  They are such a picture of how we are called as followers of Jesus to be ONE in Him.  Praise God that we can appreciate each other's heritage. 

The quote from Martin Luther King, Jr. that is in my heart today is this: "I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls as brothers and sisters."  Yes, Dr. King, your dream is slowly coming true. 

"Our lives begin to end the day when we become silent about things that matter."  -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
I pray that we will not be silent about prejudice and racial harmony.  I pray the church will rise up and let the world know that we are all equally made by God to worship and bring glory to Him.

I'll leave you with the link to World Vision's blog today to read:
http://blog.worldvision.org/christian-witness/the-power-of-obedience/

Together we CAN witness change in the world one person and one family and one heart at a time.  Just do what God calls you to do. It is not up to you individually to change someone's heart.  God does that through his Holy Spirit.  Just be obedient.  That's your job.   

No comments:

Post a Comment