Thursday, December 29, 2011

October Highlights - Part 2: Ginger's Baby Shower

 In October I threw, with the help of my family, a baby shower for my sister, Ginger.  The shower was a celebration of the miracle of life in more ways than one.  You see, my younger sister (my only sibling) was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in her early twenties. She went through chemotherapy and was in remission for a couple years, then it came back and was progressing much faster than the first time.  Ginger had a bone marrow transplant and spent weeks in isolation.  It was a hard road, and difficult to watch someone you love going through so much pain.  But she's been in remission for over 3 years now.  We thought she probably would not be able to conceive, and she and her husband, Ryan, had discussed adoption in the future as a possibility.  Then, SURPRISE!  She found out this year she was pregnant!  It was truly a miracle.  Her pregnancy was smooth and on November 17, Bode Hill Blackmon was born.  These pictures are from her shower about a month before Bode's arrival. 

Here's my sister and me:



These were my wonderful co-hostesses:  my Aunt Bonnie, Aunt Wendy, Ginger, Aunt Penny, and my mother, Robyn.  My mom is one of 7 girls!  We call them, "the sisters".


Ginger, my mom, and me:


We started the brunch with mimosas. Yum!  This is Shari and Monica enjoying themselves:

Then the food table opened.  Lots of things Ginger requested, like the olive cheese bread from the Pioneer Woman cookbook.  If you've never seen the Pioneer Woman's recipes, click on the link on the right side of the blog.  The food is delicious.  The other highlight for me, personally, was the tray of Chick-fil-a nuggets donated by Aunt Penny.  Love me some Chick-fil-a, baby.

My sister-in-law, Becky, and Mrs. Ann Doak, enjoying their treats:

We'll keep going with some pictures of people eating (I'm sure they all love me for this):





Instead of traditional favors, there was a candy bar.  Oh, yes, I said CANDY!  I purchased candy in the colors of the shower (a beach theme, to go with Bode's room) and my neice let me borrow the containers.  Each guest filled a bag of candy of their choice before they left.

Aunt Wendy was a huge help.  She came the night before and helped me set up.  Normally I am not a detailed person in terms of decorations, but I know Ginger loves presentation. My aunt came and instructed me on the little touches that we both knew Ginger would appreciate, like wrapping each napkin over the silverware and tying it with twine that had a shell hanging from it.


You've seen my mother's cakes before, and she once again came through with a beautiful creation.  The cake was aqua and white with white-chocolate shells on the outside and a baby carriage on top.  It was beautiful.  The pictures on my old camera never do her cakes justice.






Ginger has been extremely blessed to have many friends and family that love and support her.  Some of them drove a long way to attend the shower.










Oh, yeah, then there was the mountain of gifts!  She received everything she needed for Bode and more.

Thank you to everyone who came to the shower and helped with the event.  It was a success!

1 comment:

  1. It was a beautiful shower that I will always cherish :)I need to get these pics

    ReplyDelete