Wednesday, August 31, 2011

North Carolina

One of my favorite places in the country (of the limited places I've been:) is the mountains of North Carolina.  My father retired a couple years ago and purchased a cabin on a creek in Sylva for a second home.  We have been blessed to be able to go to the cabin for vacations for free.  It makes a frugal getaway for our family.  The gas used to drive up and back is the main expense.  Once we're there, we use the full kitchen to cook breakfasts and the majority of our suppers.  I use the crockpot so we can come home to a finished meal.  Alan grills sometimes.  For most lunches, we take a picnic on the road and stop somewhere to eat, either at a location that has a scenic view, or the woods. 

A large portion of our time is spent in an activity that is virtually free - waterfall hunting!  In the cabin is a book that lists 25 easy waterfall hikes with directions to find them.  That book started it all two years ago.  Ever since, we spend at least a couple of our days at the cabin searching for waterfalls or revisiting some of our favorites. 

This year was no exception.  Here are some pics of the beauties we visited:



Our car is filled with a backpack that has some first aid supplies (like bandaids, etc.), bug spray, sunscreen, a towel, and water.  I carry the backpack on our hike.  We also bring our lunches, snacks, paper towels and regular towels, a change of clothes for each person, and a change of shoes.  Everyone wears water shoes or Teva's.  Except Alan and sometimes Easton.  Alan always wears tennis shoes.  

We visited Grandfather Mountain this time. 

Alan and the kids walked across the mile-high swinging bridge.  I did not.  I stayed safely on the rock and prayed for them the entire time.

This was my view from my seat on the rock:

Here are Alan and the kids (can you see them?) on the other side of the bridge.

At homeschool convention this year, there was a booth selling swords.  Alan said, "I can make those".  So he did when we got to North Carolina.  They were made out of PVC pipe and pool noodles.   Cool, huh?  They were good for hours of fun.

I would totally live there!  Now to convince my husband.......Nope, I don't think that's going to happen.


1 comment:

  1. Jayde's face in the first pic is lovely :) Ahhhh I wish I was swinging by the creek now.... I can't believe you didn't cross that bridge!!

    ReplyDelete