Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Homemade Cleaners

As I was cleaning today with the girls, I ran out of a couple of my cleaning solutions, so I made more.  It occurred to me that other people might be interested in the cleaning solutions we make in our home, so I am going to share the recipes.  Lots of recipes for cleaning just about anything around the house can be found online.  I am sharing some of the ones we use.  Try them - you might like them!  They are CHEAP. 

All Purpose Cleaner (good for anything but wood):
Mix equal parts of vinegar with water and put in a spray bottle.  We use this for just about anything around our house that needs cleaning.

Glass Cleaner
Mix 1 cup water, 1 cup rubbing alcohol, and 1 Tbsp. white vinegar and put it in a spray bottle.
*If you run out of rubbing alcohol, the mixture of vinegar and water will work on glass as well.

Wood Polish:
Mix 1 cup olive oil with 1/2 cup lemon juice.  Keep in a sealed container.

Toilets:
Use undiluted white vinegar.

Sinks and Tubs:
Use baking soda as a scouring powder.  Add a small amount of water (to make it pasty) and let it sit for half an hour, then scrub it off.

When I need to bleach something, I use a big bottle of bleach (cheap from Walmart) and dilute it into a spray bottle according to the directions on the back of the bleach bottle.  There is no need to buy a new small spray bottle every time you run out of bleach!  Not economical.

Dishwasher Detergent:
Mix 1 cup borax with 1 cup baking soda in a small container.  Put 3 Tbsp. of the detergent into the cup each time you run your dishwasher. 
*I used this exclusively for about a year.  During that time, I noticed my dishes were getting cloudy.  So now, I buy a commercial dish detergent on sale.  I alternate between the cheap homemade version and the store-bought version.  Every other cycle gets the homemade version.  Saves money and my dishes aren't cloudy.

If you have a stock of the following products all the time in your home, you will never have to run out to the store to buy cleaning products (I usually estimate how many jugs of each I will need for the year and purchase them all at the beginning of the year.  Then I have what I need when I need it.):
borax
white vinegar
baking soda
rubbing alcohol
olive oil
lemon juice
liquid bleach
water
spray bottles

If you fall on hard times, you can make do with vinegar, baking soda, and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment