Sunday, May 1, 2011

2011 Garden Season - Take One

The spring gardening season has begun.  Our garden is approximately a quarter of an acre.  This season we have black-eyed peas, zipper peas, purple hull peas, yellow squash, butternut squash, pickling cucumbers, corn, green beans, okra, and tomatoes planted there.  We have herbs (cilantro, basil, rosemary, and oregano) and jalepenos planted on or near the front porch.  Last week our garden started "coming in", as I call it.  Three days last week were spent picking and putting up the green beans, squash, and cucumbers that came in.  My dad and Alan's dad helped pick and I was grateful to get the help!  They also took buckets of beans home to snap and wash them to help me get ready to put up.  I am a very blessed girl to have parents who like to assist with the garden.  Thank you all!

Here is a picture of some of the produce we picked.  There were many more buckets of green beans but some had been snapped already, and we gave away most of the squash.


In my next post I'll show how we put up the green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment