Friday, March 4, 2011

My Father's World

During Christmas break, I felt the need to change up some things in our schoolwork selection.  I had been eyeing the Geography program from My Father's World for 2 years.  I finally decided to order it.  Love, love, love it!

Wow.  I really want our children to grow up with a heart for missions.  To love the people God created.   To love the outcasts, the poor, the widows, the people who seem like they will never be reached.  God knows them all.  Every hair on their head.  This program has been such a blessing!  It's called "Exploring Countries and Cultures".  Every two weeks we "travel" to a new country.  The kids have their own passport.


They get a new sticker every time they enter a new country.  Right now we are still in North America.  There are fun activities to go with every country. 

One of my favorite books that came with the program is Window on the World: When We Pray God Works by Daphne Spraggett with Jill Johnstone.  It talks about different people groups from all over the world.  You learn what they believe, and why they need God so desperately.  Then you get an opportunity to pray for them that week!  It's been amazing to see the kids' hearts turn toward people they don't even know and pray for them. 


The other book I love the most is Kingdom Tales by David and Karen Mains.
You need to order this book even if you don't use My Father's World!  It reminds me of the Narnia series, but shorter stories that you can read daily to your kids.  The kingdom represents Heaven and the king represents Jesus.  All the characters start out so unloved, but are redeemed by the King.  The kids literally BEG me to read this every day.  I don't know what we'll do when we get to the end.  I guess we'll have to start all over!


"Exploring Countries and Cultures" comes with all the books you need as well as student sheets.  The children make a notebook to hold all the things they learn about each country.


The notebook is split into sections by continent.


I highly recommend My Father's World! 

On a side note, there is another book I purchased a couple years ago from Queen Homeschool called Material World:  A Global Family Portrait by Peter Menzel.  It's wonderful. Photographers went into many different countries and recorded what life is like for an average family in that particular country.  It shows pictures of their daily life and then the one that really gets you - a picture of each family outside their home with ALL of their belongings that are normally inside the house.  That includes furniture, clothing, kitchen supplies, everything.  It is a wakeup call!  You should see the majority of the families across the world and what they have compared the the family from the U.S.  No comparison!  (I realize this picture is sideways and I have no idea how to rotate it - bear with me:)


"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."  Matthew 28:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment