Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Journey

It's funny how when you are focused on a subject, you notice things that refer to that subject constantly, in ways you may never have been aware of before.  Here's a gross thought:  Take lice, for instance.  When I was a teacher in a school (I'm still a teacher, just not in a school building), if someone in my class had lice, my head would suddenly start itching and I would scrutinize every scratch any child made above his or her neck for the next several days, sure that we ALL had lice now.  That may not be the best example, but it'll do.  The fact is, now that our family is so focused on adoption, the theme is popping up everywhere!  We are bombarded with images, words, and "coincidences" that may not, unfortunately, have been given much attention before we started this journey.  There are banners online, billboards, magazine and newspaper articles, etc., all shouting for adoption and crying out for someone to love these children. 

The kids picked out a movie to watch two days ago, and it was "Love's Unending Legacy" (we like the Love Comes Softly series).  Although I've seen it many times before, I was struck by watching Belinda's transformation at her adoption.  She was welcomed into a family that wanted her even when she didn't understand that anyone could love or want her.  I thought about my future child.  Even though I believe that God has picked him (or them) out for our family and marked them just for us, that child won't fully understand that for months or even years.  He won't understand what it's like to be wanted.

I love the book of Romans.  God reveals how he loves the Gentiles, His adopted children, just like the Jews, His children by birth.  I was grafted in! Romans 11:17 says, "....and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root".  Ephesians 1:5 says, "He predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will".  "Predestined" literally means, "marked out beforehand".  God marked me out beforehand, just like He is marking out our adopted child for us beforehand.  Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment